This week's blog has been exploring some of the thoughts of John Robert Wooden who was an American Collegieate Basketball Coach nicknamed the 'wizard of Westwood'. As Head Coach at UCLA he won ten NCCA national championships in a 12-year period, including an unprecedented seven in a row. NBA stars such as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bob Costas and Bill Walton all played under him and gave huge credit to his coaching (both on and off the court) in their future success.
Here are his 'nine promises to yourself' - what would your work-place, school, home be like if we made these promises and followed through on them?
1. Promise yourself that you will talk health, happiness, and prosperity as often as possible.
2. Promise yourself to make all your friends know there is something in them that is special and you value.
3. Promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best in yourself and others.
4. Promise to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
5. Promise to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
6. Promise to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements in the future.
7. Promise to wear a cheerful appearance at all times and give every person you meet a smile.
8. Promise to give so much time to improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
9. Promise to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit trouble to press on you.